Bishop M. G. Copeland
Suffragan Bishop Madison Gary Copeland was appointed as pastor of the Greater Sweet Beulah by the late Bishop Samuel L Grimes in 1962. He has served faithfully as the senior pastor of the Greater Sweet Beulah Apostolic Church for 58 years.
Bishop Copeland is the last surviving minster, licensed and ordained by the late Bishop Samuel L. Grimes, (Bishop Grimes was the longest surviving presiding Bishop of the Pentecostal Assemblies of the World 1933-1967).
Suffragan Bishop Copeland’s life is characterized by a steadfast unwavering commitment, dedication, excellent service, and love for the Body of Christ.
He was born in 1932 to the union of Mr. Wilroy and Mrs. Annie G. Copeland. He is married to the lovely Elect Lady Pauline Penn Copeland. Bishop and Elect Lady Copland are the proud parents of two sons Gary A. Copeland, Samuel B. Copeland. One Grandson, Elder Gary O. Copeland, and several adopted sons and daughters.
• In 1943, Brother Copeland was converted at the tender age of 9 years old and received the precious gift of the Holy Ghost when he was 11 years old.
• In 1947, (at the age of 15 years old) Brother Copeland received a license to preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ from the late Bishop Samuel L Grimes.
• In 1953, Minister Copeland was ordained an Elder in the Virginia State Council of the Pentecostal Assemblies of the World INC.
• In 1984, Elder Copeland received an Honorary Doctor of Divinity Degree (D.D.) from United Christian College, (New York NY).
• In 1994, Pastor Copland was appointed District Elder in the Virginia State Council of the Pentecostal Assemblies of the World.
• In 1999, District Elder Copeland was elevated to the position Suffragan Bishop and ratified during the Mid-Winter Convention of the Pentecostal Assemblies of the World during held in Saint Louis MO.
• In 2000, Pastor Copeland was consecrated as Suffragan Bishop during the November session of the Virginia State Council in Roanoke Virginia.
• In 2006, a second Doctorate Degree was conferred upon Bishop Copeland by the Wiggins Institute.
• In recognition of his exemplary and faithful service to the Body of Christ and Community, Bishop Copeland has received numerous awards. Including letters of Commendation from former President Barak Obama, Former Virginia Robert McDowell and many others.
Perhaps the most unique aspect of Pastor Copeland’s ministry is his humbleness. He remains loyal to Greater Sweet Beulah family, the Suffolk Community, the Pentecostal Assemblies of the World, and his Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.